
Flame On!
There’s one aspect of my personality that frightens me. It’s a closely guarded secret, but I have a terrible, instant temper. I think of myself as a volcano – all that blisteringly hot, smoldering lava lying just beneath the surface. The pressure builds gradually, slowly, almost imperceptibly until suddenly – KABOOM! - it erupts and spews rock chunks, scalding steam, and molten lava all over anything and everything near it. Like the volcano, it takes a lot to provoke me to spew. Usually years and years of frustrating events that slowly build the pressure inside me until one final event triggers the eruption and KABOOM! I’m throwing off piercingly dark looks and spewing angry words at a poor unsuspecting subject. This was me and Eddie yesterday at the airport kiosk. Me, the erupting volcano and he, the unsuspecting subject.
He asked me about it today. I confessed that it was “the eye.” He gives me “the eye” when I say something incredibly stupid, which I do from time to time – more frequently, in fact, than I care to admit. So, I was stupid yet again yesterday and I knew, I just knew that when I looked at him he’d be giving me “the eye” of incredulity. I glanced his way and THERE IT WAS! AAAAAAGH! I just couldn’t take it, and I blew and spewed - covering him with my vile anger. And, of course, after the angry episode comes the dreaded silence. I mean, what can you say to a seething volcano? And I, for my part, need time to cool down before I can speak rationally. So we walked side by side in icy silence through airport security and on to our gate in terminal “E” – then, he quietly asked if I wanted a Strawberry Frappacino. That helped cool me down a LOT. But it wasn’t one hour later (I had barely finished the Frappacino) that I said a stupid thing yet AGAIN! That time, however, I simply refused to look at him. Sigh.
So, we were talking about it tonight (it really was quite an astonishing episode – the first in our three years together) and I told him that if he just wouldn’t give me “the eye,” I wouldn’t be so tempted to spew. But he couldn’t promise not to give me “the eye” when I said stupid things, so I told him I couldn’t promise not to “Flame On” when he does. And that’s where we stand today. Gosh, I love this man. What a glorious time we have together, experiencing all the wonderful emotions bestowed upon mankind. And I love the “Flame On” thing. That was Ed’s term for it. It suits.
There’s one aspect of my personality that frightens me. It’s a closely guarded secret, but I have a terrible, instant temper. I think of myself as a volcano – all that blisteringly hot, smoldering lava lying just beneath the surface. The pressure builds gradually, slowly, almost imperceptibly until suddenly – KABOOM! - it erupts and spews rock chunks, scalding steam, and molten lava all over anything and everything near it. Like the volcano, it takes a lot to provoke me to spew. Usually years and years of frustrating events that slowly build the pressure inside me until one final event triggers the eruption and KABOOM! I’m throwing off piercingly dark looks and spewing angry words at a poor unsuspecting subject. This was me and Eddie yesterday at the airport kiosk. Me, the erupting volcano and he, the unsuspecting subject.
He asked me about it today. I confessed that it was “the eye.” He gives me “the eye” when I say something incredibly stupid, which I do from time to time – more frequently, in fact, than I care to admit. So, I was stupid yet again yesterday and I knew, I just knew that when I looked at him he’d be giving me “the eye” of incredulity. I glanced his way and THERE IT WAS! AAAAAAGH! I just couldn’t take it, and I blew and spewed - covering him with my vile anger. And, of course, after the angry episode comes the dreaded silence. I mean, what can you say to a seething volcano? And I, for my part, need time to cool down before I can speak rationally. So we walked side by side in icy silence through airport security and on to our gate in terminal “E” – then, he quietly asked if I wanted a Strawberry Frappacino. That helped cool me down a LOT. But it wasn’t one hour later (I had barely finished the Frappacino) that I said a stupid thing yet AGAIN! That time, however, I simply refused to look at him. Sigh.
So, we were talking about it tonight (it really was quite an astonishing episode – the first in our three years together) and I told him that if he just wouldn’t give me “the eye,” I wouldn’t be so tempted to spew. But he couldn’t promise not to give me “the eye” when I said stupid things, so I told him I couldn’t promise not to “Flame On” when he does. And that’s where we stand today. Gosh, I love this man. What a glorious time we have together, experiencing all the wonderful emotions bestowed upon mankind. And I love the “Flame On” thing. That was Ed’s term for it. It suits.
1 comment:
Oh noes!! Well, at least the lava has released and everything that was burned will grow to be wonderful and fresh right? Love you two!!!
Post a Comment