Sunday, April 5, 2009

NOTRE DAME

Our last day in Paris began with a trip to Notre Dame. If we were to choose our very favorite activity of the week, this would be mine. What a magnificent structure! Every detail, inside and out, a work of art from the stained glass windows to the statues and carved panels depicting the life of Christ, to the architecture of the building itself. Everything meticulously crafted to perfection. Such artistry. 170 years to build? I believe it! I must say; however, that everything inside Notre Dame was so dusty! I wanted to grab a dust rag and some pledge and spend a week or two in there just cleaning all the statues, carvings, tables, hearths, and other bits of furniture. Perhaps the dust helps preserve things, I'm not sure. Or maybe there's so many nooks, crannies and artifacts that people just got tired of all the dusting required and gave it up for lent.

No comments: