Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Christmas Card that Wasn't

December 18, 2005

My Dear Friends:

What lessons life has to teach us as we journey along. Sometimes the journey is as breath-taking as a sunset – beautiful, peaceful – with a feeling that God is in his heaven and all is right with the world. Sometime the journey is as exhilarating as a day on the ski slopes, gliding almost effortlessly down a wide expanse of soft, white, glistening snow. Oh, how I love those days. They are easy and sweet and carefree. Sometimes the journey seems all uphill like a hike up Angel’s landing – but even then we’re allowed a brief reprieve now and then, a moment to stop and look around and see Heavenly Father’s hand in all things, and we turn back to our task and carry on the best we can. If we are prepared and fit for the task, the going is less hard on us, but difficult just the same by the innate nature of the challenge. Some parts of the journey seem almost too much to bear – like a weight crushing the very living breath from us, and it’s a struggle just to get out of bed and go through the motions of the day. I believe we all experience each of these stages of the journey through life. Sometimes the level of ease or difficulty of the journey is due to our own choices. Sometimes it is due to situations thrust upon us from a myriad of directions.

Three years ago I pictured myself standing upon a mountainside. My place on that mountain had grown brutally cold – uninhabitable. It wasn’t a sudden change, but a gradual one - more than two decades long in the making. Below me lay a dark valley full of unknown challenges, and I knew the journey through it would be difficult at best. I had no idea how long it would take to

Okay – this is way too much for a yearly Christmas card. Scratch this one!!!

1 comment:

Kody and Stacie Rogers said...

So much to read! That was great. Of course I will come over and show you how. We need to come over and exchange gifts before we go up north! Eddie didn't know of a good time for sure, so if you do let me know! :) love ya